Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Published: April 24, 2012
Read: April 25, 2013
Paperback, 353 pages
From Goodreads: Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys; all the ones she doesn’t want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They’re powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.
And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.
Secrets are hard to keep when your life’s at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who’s hiding the most dangerous truth of all.
The storm is coming.
I very much enjoyed Storm! It reminded me a lot of Obsidian (Lux #1), and since that was been one of my books that I’ve read this year, that is a big compliment to Storm!
Oooh the Merrick brothers…. thank you for being such fun stars of the Elemental series. they are the stars of the Elemental series, and I’m so happy to have stumbled upon them. Although there are several of Elementals in their small town, the brothers are unique because they are extremely powerful. Like can cause major storms, earth movements, explosions kind of powerful…. so they are on a lot of people’s shit list. You can read the back round on that in Elemental, which I recommend. Let’s do a quick rundown of the hot Merrick boys:
- Michael/earth: He can control earth and is the caregiver for the family. He’s a bit grumpy at times, but we can understand why. Not only did he have several traumatic things happen to him, he carries the burden of keeping the boys safe. I hope that you lighten up a lil’ bit, but I like you! You’re a good guy and big bro.
- Nick/wind: Nick is the most “normal” of the Merrick boys. I like him, because he’s friendly and reserved… a good balance for the other 4 alpha males in the story. I’d like to hear more from him, though.
- Gabriel/fire: Thank you, Gabriel, for filling the YA requirement of the hot, snarky, over confident, bad boy.Although 3/4 of the Merrick’s have major attitudes, Gabriel takes the prize. He’s got a major chip on his shoulder (understandable since his already complex life crumbled a few years back), but he acts out whenever he can get a chance. His outbursts and snarky attitude were sometimes annoying, but I am so excited to get into his head in Spark.
- Chris/water: Chris’ story is told in Storm, and he is hot, moody, and sweet. I really liked him as a character! Even though he sometimes threw up an attitude, he really was a nice guy just trying to do right. I enjoyed hearing from Chris’ point of view, because we were able to hear the fears and insecurities he had about his elemental “powers” and his family… and we got to hear about how he was falling for Becca.
I liked Becca as the main character… she’s a loner. Her mother is never around, her father left the family, and she’s almost completely friendless. Her ex-boyfriend has ruined her reputation, so the boys don’t respect her and the girls all hate her. Things change for Becca when she jumps into rescue a boy being senselessly beaten up. Little did she know that she stumbled into a family feud that would put her life in danger. She saved Chris, and she’s now tangled into the Merrick’s crazy world. She was kind of scrappy, and she acted like she had nothing to lose. She probably felt like that since she figured her reputation couldn’t get any worse than what it already was.
New boy, Hunter, walked into Becca’s classroom and was immediately drawn to Becca. I thought that he made up a good third person for the love triangle in Storm. He was unique, sexy, and genuine…. but unfortunately, not exactly honest (although who could blame him?) The whole time I wondered/predicted what his deal was, but he fit well into the Elemental storyline. I’m excited to see more of him in the upcoming books. I don’t always like love triangles… in fact I usually dislike them, but I appreciated the Chris-Becca-Hunter love triangle. Both boys wanted to save her from her asshole ex-bf/cruel high school kids & the dangerous world that Chris and his family live in. BUT I also like that Becca was scrappy and could be a badass. She wanted to fight back, and she wasn’t completely helpless.
All in all, it was a really fun read! It was one of the better YA paranormal books that I’ve read, and I can’t wait to read on!
Just for fun… some similarities to Lux:
- The odd “powers” that are known by organizations (aka The Guides)… they try to either control them or end them. In Storm’s case, it leads itself to a very interesting element to the plot. The Merrick boys are incredibly powerful, so they must hide their true natures, or else the “deal” is off and they will be hunted and killed (Ditto in Obsidian).
- The high schoolers with little parenting going on: Becca’s mother is a nurse who works around the clock (same as Kat), and her dad left them years before. The Merrick boys live with their 21 year old brother, Michael, as their guardian. Their parents died, so Michael was left in charge (similar with Daemon’s Luxen family). He tries not to draw attention to the boys, but they can’t seem to remain out of trouble…. (I mean, it would be a boring book if they did, right?)
- Hot identical twins…. nothin’ wrong with that!